Sunday, January 4, 2009

Ella Grace Elizabeth Boettcher- I can't believe my eyes.....

Thinking back to last Tuesday, which started out like every other uncomfortable last day of my pregnancy, and to now look and see our baby. I still cannot believe it. After what seemed like a very ordinary yet disappointing dr's appointment (where I was told that I still had at least a few weeks to go) turned into a trip to the hospital and the arrival of Ella.

After arriving at the hospital at 1:pm on Tuesday, December 30th to investigate some strange bleeding and waiting and waiting and waiting, we found out that the Dr. was ordering me to be induced. Turns out, that everyone in the city who was pregnant showed up at the hospital that day, as that I wasn't in active labour I became at the bottom of the list to be moved to labour and delivery but unable to go home I spent the night in hospital alone contemplating the events of the next day.

Finally, at 7:00 am on New years eve we were informed that our bed had become available and thus I entered the last room I would ever be just me...and not a mother. The induction started at 9:00am and by 2:00 no progress had been made so my water was broken and the show was on the road. After some time on the birthing ball, reading some magazines and the most wonderful epidural EVER!!! it seemed that the progress was going to be minimal. But at the last moments (2 hours approx) when all hope was lost for ours to be the first baby of new years, I dialated four centimetres and it was time for Ella to arrive. After only 15 minutes of pushing, which seemed like 2 seconds there she was, she cried for about 30 seconds until she landed on my chest. The moment my life changed forever. She looked into my eyes, as I looked into hers and I then realized that my life now belonged to 6 pounds of perfection, a little of myself but even more of her father.

So there she was 6 pounds 10 ounces and 20 inches long. Blonde hair and blue eyes. It still seems like it can't be real. The days since have been an adventure one I am so glad we decided to embark upon. I thank everyone for the kind thoughts and wonderful gifts and can't wait for her to meet you all.








1 comment:

Mandi Carter said...

Oh my goodness, I totally cried when you said that was the last time you'd be just you and not a mom...having a baby is the most incredible experience in the world. I also cried when you described what happened when Ella was born, that was a beautiful description. And then the video - totally cried again! What an amazing moment, and I loved hearing Jesse's aw's. So special. She is absolutely perfect and I am SOOO happy for you. Did she end up being the New Year's baby?? What is her birthday? I might have missed that part, so I'll go read it again to see. Congrats again!